Forget your locker combination. Abandon your textbooks. It’s summertime, and the living should be easy! We’re big fans of summer break here on LiesYoungWomenBelieve.com. We know that our readers work hard all year and need a little downtime (preferably spent poolside, sipping lemonade). But we also see summer as a great opportunity to grow in your faith and to minister to others. That’s why we’re loading up the blog with ideas for how to use your summer well. Look for more posts about making the most of your summer in the days ahead.
To get you thinking, here are twenty-five ways to make sure you don’t waste your summer.
- Spend long, lingering mornings reading God’s Word.
- Be a VBS volunteer.
- Spend time with a mom with young kids.
- Deep clean your room. Ask your parents if there are other areas of the housework that you can lend assistance with.
- Set a reading goal. (Look for our list of recommended summer reads next week.)
- Volunteer at a local crisis pregnancy center.
- Spend regular time with an elderly neighbor.
- Go visit your grandparents.
- Celebrate purity by sporting modest (and adorable) swimwear at the pool.
- Take walks.
- Sketch or paint what you see in creation.
- Catch lightning bugs. Worship Jesus for all the things He has made to delight us.
- Ask some friends to come over and watch the stars. Consider this: “He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names” (Ps. 147:4).
- Ask if you can help with childcare on a temporary basis at your church. Often volunteers take time off in the summer, and churches need volunteers to fill the gaps.
- Host a summer book club.
- Host a board game night. (For more ideas, check out this post from our archives.)
- Pick a need, and commit to pray for it daily during the summer.
- Memorize Scripture. Here are some fun, printable cards to help.
- Learn to letter Scripture. For inspiration check out @mewmaggieward, @suzannabaird, and @lizaproch on Instagram.
- Join the LYWB.com Summer Book Club. (Big announcement coming next week!)
- Journal. Take the time to write down all the ways you saw God’s hand move in your life this past school year. Were there prayers answered? Relationships restored? Sins dealt with? How are you more like Him now than you were when the school year started? Write it down as an act of worship and a way to remember that God is with you every step of the way.
- Rest! I know I said that already, but just in case you missed it, here it is again. It’s okay to rest. Nope. Scratch that. We are commanded to rest (Ex. 20:8). Swing in a hammock. Take naps. God writes you a permission slip to rest in this season. Take Him up on it.
- Read books written by LiesYoungWomenBelieve.com authors. We’ve got a fabulous team of talented writers who love to hold God’s Word high. Add some of our titles to your summer reading list.
Jessie Minassian’s Books
Backwards Beauty: How to Feel Ugly in 10 Simple Steps
Unashamed: Overcoming the Sins No Girl Wants to Talk About
Crushed: Why Guys Don’t Have to Make or Break You
Respect: How to Get It, How to Give It
Girl Defined (Bethany Baird) Books and Studies
Girl Defined: God’s Radical Design For Beauty, Femininity, and Identity
Project Modesty: How to Honor God With Your Wardrobe While Looking Totally Adorable in the Process
Reaching Beyond Myself: 30 Day Devotional
Brave Girl: Embracing God’s Best in the Midst of a Crazy Confusing Culture
Paula Marsteller’s Book
Erin Davis’ (that’s me!) Books and Studies
Connected: Curing the Pandemic of Everyone Feeling Alone Together
The My Name Is Erin Series
Beautiful Encounters: The Presence of Jesus Changes Everything
True Princess: Embracing Humility in an All About Me World
The Bare Facts: 39 Questions Your Parents Hope You Never Ask About Sex
Graffiti: Learning to See the Art in Ourselves
25. Read the blog! No summer break for us! We’ll be here every day to help you identify lies, replace them with truth, and make the most of your summer. Subscribe via email here, and don’t miss a single post.
How do you plan to make the most of your summer? What ideas can you add to our list. Leave us a comment about it below, and then pour yourself a glass of lemonade and cannonball into the pool. Happy summer!