Sigh. I just love a good story.
And as much as I adore closing the book on a great tale, I love turning a fresh page on a new one even more.
In fact, today feels like doing a little of both. As 2012 wraps up and we close the book on this year, some of us may feel like we've finished a great book. Others of us are glad this year is over. If our lives are like a story, this year may have felt like a tragedy to you. But tomorrow a new year begins. It's a chance to let God write a brand-new story with your life.
In fact, tomorrow would be a great day to...
- Drop a habit that you know is not God-honoring.
- Ditch a TV show that does not lead to thoughts that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, or worthy of praise (Phil. 4:8).
- Reach out to one of the groups Jesus encourages us to minister to through His Word.
• The hungry/thirsty (Matt. 25:44).
• The sick (same verse).
• Those in prison (same verse).
• The poor (Luke 14:12–14).
• Those who don't know Him (Matt. 28:16–20).
- Commit to read the Bible every day in 2013.
- Love someone who is hard to love. (A sibling, perhaps?)
- Forgive someone (even if they don't deserve it).
- Tell God what you are grateful for.
- Confess your sin to someone who can pray for you and hold you accountable.
- Put some distance between you and a toxic friend or nurture a relationship with a friend who encourages you in your walk with Christ.
- Memorize a Bible verse you want to focus on this year.
Think of 2013 like a blank page. The best thing to do is to hand God the pen and to ask Him to write His story in your life this year.
So ... choose your own adventure. How will you start 2013? What story do you hope God uses you to write this year?