Sigh. I just love a good story.
And as much as I adore closing the book on a great tale, I love turning a fresh page on a new one even more.
In fact, today feels like doing a little of both. As 2012 wraps up and we close the book on this year, some of us may feel like we’ve finished a great book. Others of us are glad this year is over. If our lives are like a story, this year may have felt like a tragedy to you. But tomorrow a new year begins. It’s a chance to let God write a brand-new story with your life.
In fact, tomorrow would be a great day to…
- Drop a habit that you know is not God-honoring.
- Ditch a TV show that does not lead to thoughts that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, or worthy of praise (Phil. 4:8).
- Reach out to one of the groups Jesus encourages us to minister to through His Word.
• The hungry/thirsty (Matt. 25:44).
• The sick (same verse).
• Those in prison (same verse).
• The poor (Luke 14:12–14).
• Those who don’t know Him (Matt. 28:16–20).
- Commit to read the Bible every day in 2013.
- Love someone who is hard to love. (A sibling, perhaps?)
- Forgive someone (even if they don’t deserve it).
- Tell God what you are grateful for.
- Confess your sin to someone who can pray for you and hold you accountable.
- Put some distance between you and a toxic friend or nurture a relationship with a friend who encourages you in your walk with Christ.
- Memorize a Bible verse you want to focus on this year.
Think of 2013 like a blank page. The best thing to do is to hand God the pen and to ask Him to write His story in your life this year.
So … choose your own adventure. How will you start 2013? What story do you hope God uses you to write this year?